Planning a trip to Walt Disney World can seem overwhelming, but with some careful planning, you can make the most of your vacation. In this article, we share the ultimate guide to planning a trip to Walt Disney World.
How to Plan a Trip to Walt Disney World
1. Choose Your Travel Dates
Choosing the right travel dates for a Walt Disney World vacation can be a crucial decision, as it can impact everything from crowd levels to park hours to weather conditions. Here are some tips to help you choose the right travel dates for your trip:
- Check the Crowd Calendar: Use a crowd calendar to see which dates are expected to be the busiest at Walt Disney World. Avoid traveling during peak times, such as holidays, school breaks and weekends.
- Consider the Weather: Check the weather conditions for the time of year you plan to visit. Keep in mind that Florida can be very hot and humid in the summer months and hurricane season runs from June to November.
- Look at Park Hours: Check the park hours for the dates you are considering, as they can vary depending on the season and day of the week. Make sure the parks will be open for the number of hours you want to spend there.
- Check for Special Events: Walt Disney World often hosts special events throughout the year, such as the EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival or Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Check the calendar for these events, as they can impact crowd levels and park hours.
- Check for Promotions: Disney frequently offers promotions and deals, such as free dining or reduced hotel rates, at certain times of the year. Be sure to check these promotions before booking your trip.
- Consider Your Schedule: Consider your schedule and availability when choosing travel dates. If you have kids in school, you may need to plan your trip during a school break or summer vacation.
- Be Flexible: If possible, be flexible with your travel dates. Consider shifting your trip a few days earlier or later to benefit from lower crowd levels or better promotions.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right travel dates for your Walt Disney World vacation. This will ensure a magical experience for you and your family.
2. Decide on a Budget
Deciding on a budget for a trip to Disney World is a critical to planning your vacation. To get started, consider your overall travel budget and how much you can realistically allocate to your Disney World vacation. This should include not only the cost of park tickets and accommodations, but also transportation, food, souvenirs, and any other activities or expenses you anticipate. Research Disney World vacation packages and ticket options, and compare prices to find the best value for your budget. Consider staying at a hotel off-property to save money on accommodations, and look for deals and discounts on food and souvenirs. Finally, budget for unexpected expenses or emergencies. By deciding on a budget for your Disney World vacation, you can enjoy your trip without breaking the bank or overspending.
3. Research Lodging Options
Researching lodging options for Walt Disney World can be overwhelming with the number of choices available. Since you have already determined your budget, here are some steps to help you research and select the right lodging option for your needs:
- Decide on location: Determine where you want to stay. Do you want to stay on-site or off-site? On-site properties are usually more expensive, but they offer the convenience of being close to the parks and Disney transportation.
- Check Disney’s website: Visit Walt Disney World’s website to explore on-site lodging options. They offer a range of accommodations, from budget-friendly hotels to deluxe villas. Check for special offers and promotions.
- Check third-party websites: Look at third-party websites such as Expedia, Hotels.com and TripAdvisor to explore off-site lodging options. These websites allow you to compare prices and amenities of various hotels and vacation rentals.
- Read reviews: Read reviews from other travelers to get an idea of what to expect from each lodging option. Reviews can be found on Disney’s website and third-party websites.
- Consider amenities: Consider amenities that interest you, such as a pool, fitness center or free breakfast. Make a list of must-have amenities and look for lodging options that offer them.
- Look for transportation options: If you plan to visit the parks, look for lodging options that offer transportation to and from the parks. Some hotels and vacation rentals offer shuttles, while others require rental cars or Disney’s transportation system.
- Contact lodging options directly: If you have specific questions or requests, consider contacting lodging options directly to get more information.
By following these steps, you can research and select the right lodging option for your Walt Disney World vacation. This will ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
4. Purchase Park Tickets
The most efficient way to purchase park tickets at Disney World is through the official Disney World website. The website is user-friendly, easy to navigate and offers a variety of ticket options, including one-park-per-day, park hopper and multi-day tickets. By purchasing tickets through the official website, you can ensure legitimate tickets and avoid scams or fraudulent ticket sales. Additionally, purchasing tickets through the website allows you to link your tickets to your My Disney Experience account. This allows you to make FastPass+ selections and dining reservations in advance. If you have questions or concerns about buying park tickets, you can also contact Disney World’s guest services for assistance.
Here are the steps to purchasing park tickets:
Visit the official Disney World website at disneyworld.disney.go.com.
- Click on the “Tickets” link in the top menu.
- Select the number of days you want to visit the parks and the type of ticket you need (one park per day, park hopper, etc.).
- Choose the date you want to start your park visits.
- Add any additional options, such as water park admission or Memory Maker, if desired.
- Review your order and make any necessary changes.
- Enter your billing and payment information.
- Confirm and submit your order.
5. Plan Your Itinerary
Use the Walt Disney World website or app to plan your itinerary. Decide which attractions, shows, and dining experiences you want to prioritize and create a schedule for each day.
Planning your itinerary for Disney World can be overwhelming, but with some careful planning, you can maximize your time and have a magical experience.
Here are some steps to plan your itinerary:
- Determine which parks you want to visit: Disney World has four theme parks – Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Determine which parks you want to visit based on your interests and attractions.
- Decide how many days you want to spend at Disney World: Depending on how many parks you want to visit, you’ll need to decide how many days to spend at Disney World. Keep in mind that each park can take a full day to explore.
- Make a list of must-see attractions: Research the attractions at each park and make a list of the ones you don’t want to miss. Prioritize your list based on the popularity of the attraction and how significant it is to you.
- Create a rough schedule: Based on your list of must-see attractions, create a rough schedule for each day of your trip. Keep in mind that some attractions have longer wait times than others, so factor that into your schedule.
- Make dining reservations: Disney World has a wide range of dining options, from quick service to fine dining. Reservations should be made in advance.
- Use FastPass+: Disney World’s FastPass+ system allows you to skip lines at certain attractions. You can book FastPass+ reservations in advance through the My Disney Experience app or website.
- Be flexible: Even with careful planning, unexpected events can occur. Be flexible with your itinerary and allow extra time for unexpected delays or changes.
By following these steps, you can create a well-planned itinerary.
6. Make Dining Reservations
Make reservations for any restaurants or dining experiences you want to enjoy during your trip. Some popular options, such as character dining, may require reservations months in advance.
Making dining reservations at Disney World is easy and can be done online or through the My Disney Experience app.
Here are the steps to making dining reservations:
- Visit the Disney World website or open the My Disney Experience app.
- Log in to your account or create one.
- Select the “Dining” option from the main menu.
- Search for restaurants by location, cuisine or dining experience.
- Select the date and time you want to dine.
- Choose the number of people in your party.
- Select the restaurant and dining experience you want.
- Review the reservation details and make any necessary changes.
- Confirm your reservation.
Tips for making dining reservations:
- Make reservations in advance, especially for popular restaurants and dining experiences.
- Consider the timing of your reservations based on the park you’ll visit that day.
- Be flexible with your dining times and restaurant choices to increase your chances of getting a reservation.
- Keep in mind that some restaurants require pre-payment or have cancellation fees.
- Check the dining plan options if you have purchased a dining plan.
By following these steps and tips, you can easily make dining reservations at Disney World and ensure a magical dining experience.
7. Arrange Transportation
Disney World offers a variety of transportation options for guests to move around the parks and resorts. Here are some ways to arrange transportation at Disney World:
- Disney’s Magical Express: If you are staying at a Disney resort, you can use Disney’s Magical Express service for transportation to and from the airport. You must reserve the service in advance and provide your flight details.
- Disney Transportation: Disney World offers complimentary transportation between its parks and resorts, including buses, monorails, boats and the Disney Skyliner. Check the park transportation schedules to plan your route and timing.
- Minnie Van Service: Disney World’s Minnie Van Service is a private ride service operated by Lyft. You can use the Lyft app to request a ride, and a Minnie Van will arrive to take you to your destination.
- Car Rental: If you prefer your own transportation, rent a car at the airport or Disney World. Keep in mind that parking fees may apply.
- Taxis and Ride-sharing Services: Taxis and ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft are available at Disney World, and you can use their apps to request a ride.
- Walking: Depending on the location of your resort and the park you are visiting, you may be able to walk to your destination. Keep in mind that walking may take longer than other transportation options.
By utilizing these transportation options, you can easily get around Disney World and enjoy your vacation without worrying about transportation.
8. Pack for Your Trip
Review the Walt Disney World website for information on what to pack for your trip, including clothing, footwear and other essential items. Here are some tips for packing for your Disney World trip:
- Check the weather: Before packing, check the weather forecast for your trip dates. Florida can be hot and humid year-round, so pack light and breathable clothing.
- Pack comfortable footwear: You will walk a lot at Disney World, so wear comfortable shoes. Consider packing an extra pair in case of rain or blisters.
- Clothing: Pack lightweight and breathable clothing such as shorts, t-shirts and dresses. Bring a light jacket or sweater for cooler evenings. You may also want to pack rain gear or a poncho for rain.
- Sun protection: Pack sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat to protect yourself from the sun. Consider bringing a refillable water bottle to stay hydrated.
- Park essentials: Pack a backpack or small bag to carry park essentials such as a phone charger, wallet, ID, park tickets and FastPass+ reservations. You may also want to bring a small first-aid kit with band-aids, pain relievers and any necessary medications.
- Snacks: Disney World allows guests to bring in their snacks and drinks, so pack some non-perishable snacks to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- Optional items: Consider packing a small umbrella, a camera, an autograph book and a pen for character meet-and-greets and any costume or dress-up items if you plan to participate in any special events or character experiences.
By following these tips, you can pack efficiently and ensure you have everything you need for a comfortable and enjoyable trip to Disney World.
9. Check for Discounts
Planning a trip to Disney World can be expensive, but there are ways to save. Here are some tips for finding discounts when planning a trip to Disney World:
- Check the Disney World website: Disney World regularly offers special promotions and discounts on park tickets, resorts and vacation packages. Check the Special Offers page on the Disney World website to see if any current discounts apply to your trip dates.
- Look for package deals: Sometimes booking a vacation package can save you money compared to booking each component separately. Disney World offers vacation packages with park tickets, resort accommodations and dining plans.
- Check with your employer or membership organization: Some employers or membership organizations offer discounts on Disney World tickets or vacation packages. Check with your human resources department or membership organization to see if you qualify for discounts.
- Use a travel agent: Travel agents who specialize in Disney vacations may be able to find you discounts or package deals that you couldn’t find on your own.
- Check third-party ticket sellers: There are a few reputable third-party ticket sellers who offer discounted Disney World tickets. Be cautious when purchasing from third-party sellers and only purchase from trusted sources.
- Consider visiting during the off-season: Visiting Disney World during the off-season (typically January to early February and late August to early December) can often result in lower prices for resort and park tickets.
By following these tips, you can find discounts and save money when planning your Disney World trip.
10. Have fun!
Once you have planned your trip, it’s time to enjoy your trip to Walt Disney World! Be sure to take lots of pictures, soak up the magic and create memories that last a lifetime.
A trip to Disney World can be a magical experience that creates memories for life. Here are some tips to have fun on your trip:
- Plan ahead: Do some research and plan your trip in advance to make the most of your time. Make FastPass+ reservations for popular attractions and book dining reservations to experience the restaurants you want.
- Take breaks: Disney World can be overwhelming, so schedule breaks throughout the day to rest, hydrate and recharge. Consider taking a midday break to relax at your resort or in a quieter area of the park.
- Enjoy the details: Disney World is known for its immersive design and attention to detail. Take the time to appreciate the decorations, music and atmosphere of each park and attraction.
- Meet the characters: Meeting Disney characters can be the highlight of your trip. Check the park schedule for character meet-and-greet times and consider making a reservation for a character dining experience.
- Try new experiences: Disney World offers experiences beyond rides and attractions. Consider trying new food or drink, attending a show or participating in a guided tour.
- Have fun with your group: Disney World is an excellent place to have fun with family and friends. Take silly photos, share snacks and enjoy the experience together.
- Be flexible: Disney World can be unpredictable, so be flexible and go with the flow. If a ride breaks down or the weather changes, don’t let it ruin your day. Find another attraction or activity to enjoy.
By following these tips, you can have a fun and memorable trip to Disney World. Remember to enjoy the magic and create memories that last a lifetime.
Planning a trip to Disney World doesn’t have to be overwhelming. The ultimate guide to planning a trip to Walt Disney World can help you prepare for your trip easily.
Check out other inspiring planning articles!
Leave a Reply